Principal Medical Officer For CASA
Mal
2005-06-17 03:41:32 UTC
Today I was speaking with CASA I asked if I could speak to the principal
medical officer he said he was busy.

I said what is the principal medical officer's name he became very agitated
and started to threaten me regards my medical not being validated said that
I spoke to his staff in questioning way and then slammed down the phone in
my ear.

So I ask who is the civil aviation authorities principal medical officer.

Thanks Mal
Stephen James
2005-06-17 05:39:07 UTC
Post by Mal
Today I was speaking with CASA I asked if I could speak to the principal
medical officer he said he was busy.
I said what is the principal medical officer's name he became very agitated
and started to threaten me regards my medical not being validated said that
I spoke to his staff in questioning way and then slammed down the phone in
my ear.
So I ask who is the civil aviation authorities principal medical officer.
Thanks Mal
Last time I spoke to CASA (Oct 2004), their Principal Medical Officer
was Dr John Putland.

However, I haven't had any problems getting to talk to him.

My dealings with Dr Putland, and the staff of his office, have been
cordial and productive.

You might have got someone on a bad day.....

Regards

Stephen
Mal
2005-06-17 09:59:50 UTC
I have hit a raw nerve there is no PMO apparently his day just got worse.
CASA has a few ministerial please explains outstanding.
John Putland has gone back into the Airforce or something like that.
The persons currently issuing our medicals apparently have no medical
background what so ever.
I question the validity of them with NO PMO

I have asked Mr Howard and Mr Anderson to please explain.

<Snip>Your email to the Prime Minister has been received.

If you have supplied a postal address, a reply may be sent to you via
Australia Post. Your message may also be forwarded to other Federal
Ministers for their consideration.

Thank you.
Stephen
thegoons
2005-06-17 12:50:07 UTC
Post by Mal
I have hit a raw nerve there is no PMO apparently his day just got worse.
CASA has a few ministerial please explains outstanding.
John Putland has gone back into the Airforce or something like that.
The persons currently issuing our medicals apparently have no medical
background what so ever.
I question the validity of them with NO PMO
I have asked Mr Howard and Mr Anderson to please explain.
Or better still, the Commonwealth Ombudsman's office. At least they must
investigate complaints, unlike politician's spin doctors. Refer
http://www.comb.gov.au/
Stephen
GB
2005-06-17 15:36:37 UTC
Post by Mal
<Snip>Your email to the Prime Minister has been received.
You're absolutely wasting your keystrokes e-mailing government.
If you want to get anywhere, you *must* write a letter on actual
paper, put it in an actual envelope with an actual stamp on it
and actually mail it.

Otherwise, you're actually wasting your time.

GB
v***@hotmail.com
2005-06-17 21:21:03 UTC
Why ? Letters can be lost, and are often filed WPB. You can't prove
you ever sent it unless you send it registered and get a receipt.
Elecronic mail has electronic records that can be proven later, in
court if necessary.
Simon and Sam
2005-06-17 21:26:55 UTC
did you deal with dr sham? i believe the acting head is dr roger
crossthwaite. although wouldn't talk to me or return calls.
have fun...
court if necessary.
Mal
2005-06-17 23:59:41 UTC
Crossthwaite is not a DR he is public servant manager.

I am sorry that he appears to have mislead you to believing he is a Doctor.

I have been able to Speak with Dr Tak S Sham last year there appears to be
no PMO at Aviation Medical Section at present.

So are any medicals issued without a PMO legal I am not a lawyer but I would
say NO

Poof is no problem see my Cc list ! I have studied four TAFE certificates in
IT , I was a Private Inquiry Agent for many years and Commercial sub agent.

Called the Australian news paper and spoke to the editor.

Dear Mr Anderson MP,
Cc, Government Ombudsman
Cc, Bruce Gemmell CASA
Cc, Nicola Hinder CASA
Separate email to John Howard receipt came back.

Snip from http://www.casa.gov.au

We are keeping these newsletters brief to make it easier for you. We hope
you are agreeable to this style. You should receive a separate MRS Online
newsletter this week.

John Putland will be taking up a position in the private sector beginning
early November. CASA is very grateful for the valuable contribution John
has made to AvMed this year and we are very sorry that he is leaving.

The PMO position will be advertised in the media shortly.

Changes to AvMed Section at CASA
There have been a number of key changes in the Aviation Medicine Section at
CASA. Following the resignations of Dr Peter Wilkins in January and Dr Dave
Emonson in February, Dr Sham Tak Sum has been appointed as Acting PMO. Dr
John Putland and Dr James Ross are both providing valuable assistance to
Tak.

The role of the PMO has been changed to focus on those aspects of the
section's functions that require medical expertise. All the other functions
have been allocated to a new position of Manager Aviation Medicine Section.

Roger Crosthwaite has been appointed to the Manager position. Since joining
CASA, Roger has been working in the Regulatory Reform Program and the CASA
Improvement Program. Before that, Roger was the policy advisor at Civil
Aviation Authority New Zealand.
PMO's Column
This is SHAM Tak Sum with my first PMO, (really acting PMO) column, as the
current occupier of the equivalent Martin Baker Mk 1 stationary on the
ground with all safety pins out. As a subscriber of the KISS principle I
will write only when there is something to say.

Some of you have been asked to fill in various forms and papers for all
sorts of organisations and had expressed concern as to the legal status of
the forms you fill in.

If you perform functions of a CASA Appointed Person as a DAME your actions
are covered by the relevant regulations. In essence there are only 2
functions: revalidating certificates (CASR 67.220, 67.225) and return to
flight duties (CASR 67.265). For certificates use the medical forms or MRS
Online. For return to flight duties, use the stamp on your own stationery.

Cabin crew duties are not covered by CASR. If they hold a medical
certificate return to flight duties refers to licence's held with privileges
validated by the certificate i.e. as pilots, flight engineers or air traffic
controllers, not as cabin flight attendants.

Your stamp should be used for 3 situations only:

a.. on medicals
b.. on your own stationery for "return to flight duties"
c.. on your own stationery when corresponding with CASA for matters
relating to function as DAME.
Anything you do that is not covered by a regulation such as filling reports,
forms or documents for any organisation other than CASA you are representing
yourself as a medical practitioner with experience in aviation medicine, not
as a CASA Appointed Person.

I am always available to discuss matters by phone.
court if necessary.
budgie
2005-06-18 00:59:09 UTC
On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 23:59:41 GMT, "Mal" <***@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

(snip)
Post by Mal
So are any medicals issued without a PMO legal I am not a lawyer but I would
say NO
The "medical" is actually completed by the DAME. CASA's role is simply to
ensure the process is in order and pass the DAME's OK (assuming it was one)
through the system to the pilot, recording it in the process.

I can't see that the lack of a medically qualified Person acting as PMO would be
any bar to the process.
Stephen James
2005-06-18 02:55:56 UTC
Post by budgie
(snip)
Post by Mal
So are any medicals issued without a PMO legal I am not a lawyer but I would
say NO
The "medical" is actually completed by the DAME. CASA's role is simply to
ensure the process is in order and pass the DAME's OK (assuming it was one)
through the system to the pilot, recording it in the process.
I can't see that the lack of a medically qualified Person acting as PMO would be
any bar to the process.
That is not entirely correct.

The DAMEs approval is reviewed by CASA.

Twice my DAME approved medical renewals have been over ridden by CASA
medical staff and I have had to undertake further tests. The last
medical I did was reviewed by a panel of CASA doctors etc before a
decision was made. I have no idea how many people sit on this review
committee or their qualifications.

Regards

Stephen
GB
2005-06-18 23:58:43 UTC
Post by Stephen James
Twice my DAME approved medical renewals have been over ridden by CASA
medical staff and I have had to undertake further tests. The last
medical I did was reviewed by a panel of CASA doctors etc before a
decision was made. I have no idea how many people sit on this review
committee or their qualifications.
I had occasion to be interviewed by a committee of the Supreme Court
of NSW some years ago, part of the approval process for admission for
something or other.

The committee turned out to be a committee of one - a single Judge.

I wonder if this might be a similar situation.

GB
RT
2005-06-19 06:55:13 UTC
Post by GB
Post by Stephen James
Twice my DAME approved medical renewals have been over ridden by CASA
medical staff and I have had to undertake further tests. The last
medical I did was reviewed by a panel of CASA doctors etc before a
decision was made. I have no idea how many people sit on this review
committee or their qualifications.
I had occasion to be interviewed by a committee of the Supreme Court
of NSW some years ago, part of the approval process for admission for
something or other.
The committee turned out to be a committee of one - a single Judge.
I wonder if this might be a similar situation.
The Administrative Appeals Tribunal that I and her indoors appeared before
was one person. In the good ole daze 'tri' meant 3. This was an appeal
against an immigration dept decision.

(Yeah - we won. A Phyrric victory for me - my erstwhile workshop will now
be a granny flat and infested with mother-in-law :-(

<sigh> You get that............

Brian Bosley
2005-06-17 22:31:23 UTC
Post by v***@hotmail.com
Why ? Letters can be lost, and are often filed WPB. You can't prove
you ever sent it unless you send it registered and get a
receipt.
Elecronic mail has electronic records that can be proven later, in
court if necessary.
E-mail to a government department is too easily denied. "The
spam filters zapped it" or "It must have gone to the wrong desk
and was not forwarded" "Never received here" and probably many
more.
The solution is, to write a letter, and to involve a third party
via carbon copy, (say, copy to CGU life insurance) or any other
organisation who could have an interest. The bigger the better.
My understanding is, that once a third party is involved, the
letter must be kept on file, at least, and therefore receipt can
never be denied. At least that was how it used to work.
veritas
GB
2005-06-18 23:55:57 UTC
Post by v***@hotmail.com
Why ? Letters can be lost, and are often filed WPB. You can't prove
you ever sent it unless you send it registered and get a receipt.
Elecronic mail has electronic records that can be proven later, in
court if necessary.
What are you replying to?

GB
Coop
2005-06-19 04:06:39 UTC
Post by v***@hotmail.com
Why ? Letters can be lost, and are often filed WPB. You can't prove
you ever sent it unless you send it registered and get a receipt.
Elecronic mail has electronic records that can be proven later, in
court if necessary.
Almost all email communications I have had with polly's have not been
answered.
All (I repeat, ALL) written letters I have sent have got a response.
None of them were registered.
I do this regularly. I don't know about your experience, but that's mine....

Coop
veritas
2005-06-18 01:45:24 UTC
Last time I spoke the the CASA medical office at Canberra, I was told that the Medical Officer only worked certain days.
I had no problems when I phoned back on the advised day. My query was about certain hypertension medication (and
flying) which was solved immediately and courteously.