A380 rolls out
Carsten Bauer
2004-05-28 03:38:38 UTC
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=587283
I cant believe that it's standing up, hehehe
viz
2004-05-28 10:03:38 UTC
Looks like something out of Stargate!

/viz
MK
2004-05-28 10:29:12 UTC
Post by Carsten Bauer
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=587283
I cant believe that it's standing up, hehehe
They call the first model (prototype?) the -800? Doesn't leave many x00
series for future models!

MK.
J Doe
2004-05-28 14:40:18 UTC
Post by MK
Post by Carsten Bauer
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=587283
I cant believe that it's standing up, hehehe
They call the first model (prototype?) the -800? Doesn't leave many x00
series for future models!
MK.
Not to start a A380 vs B7E7 war, but there is surely to be a nice big order
again for the 7E7 soon, hopefully to overtake the A380 order book :P
BB

BB.
J Doe
2004-05-31 13:16:03 UTC
Post by BB
Post by J Doe
Post by J Doe
again for the 7E7 soon, hopefully to overtake the A380 order book :P
From what I've heard and read about the 7E7 I'm totally underwhelmed...
Regards,
BB.
And what's so great about the A380 ? It's enough trouble boarding a B767 or
B747 let alone another few hundred people waiting for bags, on a walkway, on
an escalator at the same time
David MR
2004-06-01 00:16:28 UTC
Post by MK
They call the first model (prototype?) the -800? Doesn't leave many
x00
Post by MK
series for future models!
No law says it only has to be 3 digits ending 000 - next one is 900 then
they could have the 1000,1100, etc.

David R
matt weber
2004-05-29 02:24:27 UTC
Post by J Doe
Post by MK
Post by Carsten Bauer
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=587283
I cant believe that it's standing up, hehehe
They call the first model (prototype?) the -800? Doesn't leave many x00
series for future models!
MK.
Not to start a A380 vs B7E7 war, but there is surely to be a nice big order
again for the 7E7 soon, hopefully to overtake the A380 order book :P
AV leak reports that Boeing admits to being in various of stages of
discussion several airlines, for 450 7E7's and expects the 7E7 order
book to pass 200 before the end of the year, 500 before the first
commercial delivery. I won't be surprised if the 7E7 order book is
fatter than the A380 by the end of this quarter (the A380 order book
isn't very thick at the moment, so that isn't all that difficult).

Some of that is probably wishful thinking, but the reality is the
A300,A310,757 and 767 aircraft are ripe for replacement, and Airbus
doesn't have anything. The offered an A30X to ANA, problem was that
with an inservice date of 2014-2015, they were laughed out of the
boardroom.

If you are looking for a 757/767, or A300/A310 replacement, they have
the only game in town.
BB
2004-05-29 03:49:48 UTC
Post by matt weber
AV leak reports that Boeing admits to being in various of stages of
discussion several airlines, for 450 7E7's and expects the 7E7 order
book to pass 200 before the end of the year, 500 before the first
commercial delivery. I won't be surprised if the 7E7 order book is
fatter than the A380 by the end of this quarter (the A380 order book
isn't very thick at the moment, so that isn't all that difficult).
Well, you're talking a 767-sized aircraft campared to an a/c that is larger
than a 747... You don't have to be Einstein to realise that one will have a
greater market (and had better sell in higher numbers) than the other.. The
number of 550+ seaters that are going to sell will be obviously less than a
250 seater... How about camparing an A380 to a 747-400ER?
Post by matt weber
Some of that is probably wishful thinking, but the reality is the
A300,A310,757 and 767 aircraft are ripe for replacement, and Airbus
doesn't have anything. The offered an A30X to ANA, problem was that
with an inservice date of 2014-2015, they were laughed out of the
boardroom.
If you are looking for a 757/767, or A300/A310 replacement, they have
the only game in town.
Will the 7E7 be a viable replacement for the 757?

Airbus definitely have no real substitute for the A300 and especially
the A310... Worth noting that the original proposal for the A330/A340 was
for a much smaller aircraft (the same size as the A300) and it they were to
have been the A300's replacement (the proposal just grew)... As it is, the
A300, A310, A330 and A340 all share common fuselage cross sections... But
with no A300 and A310 sales forthcoming they do have a gap between an A321
and A330-200... They probably think they have no gap hoping airlines would
stretch to the A330-200...

The 2014 date, if true, indicates they mustn't be really worried about
the 7E7 - time will prove them right or wrong I guess...

Regards,
BB.
matt weber
2004-05-29 22:06:25 UTC
Post by BB
Post by matt weber
AV leak reports that Boeing admits to being in various of stages of
discussion several airlines, for 450 7E7's and expects the 7E7 order
book to pass 200 before the end of the year, 500 before the first
commercial delivery. I won't be surprised if the 7E7 order book is
fatter than the A380 by the end of this quarter (the A380 order book
isn't very thick at the moment, so that isn't all that difficult).
Well, you're talking a 767-sized aircraft campared to an a/c that is larger
than a 747... You don't have to be Einstein to realise that one will have a
greater market (and had better sell in higher numbers) than the other.. The
number of 550+ seaters that are going to sell will be obviously less than a
250 seater... How about camparing an A380 to a 747-400ER?
To be blunt, there are only a handful of markets where the A380 is
attractive. That's why orders are now stuck in a holding pattern, the
people who have those routes have ordered... However as for market
size, I suggest you count up the number of 747, versus 757 and 767's
sold. I think you will surprisingly little difference in the totals to
date!
Post by BB
Post by matt weber
Some of that is probably wishful thinking, but the reality is the
A300,A310,757 and 767 aircraft are ripe for replacement, and Airbus
doesn't have anything. The offered an A30X to ANA, problem was that
with an inservice date of 2014-2015, they were laughed out of the
boardroom.
If you are looking for a 757/767, or A300/A310 replacement, they have
the only game in town.
Will the 7E7 be a viable replacement for the 757?
It is probably a bit large, but the 737-900X has close to the same
seating capacity as a 757, and while he 737 doesn't have the range of
the 757, only charter operators seem to care.

the 737-900 is currently capacity constrained due to the number of
exits. a non problem for 2/3 class service, a very real problem for
single class service!.

Generally the aircraft are slightly upsized at replacement time. The
757 was intended as 727 replacement, instead the the 737-400/800/900
ultimately took over that capacity.
Post by BB
Airbus definitely have no real substitute for the A300 and especially
the A310... Worth noting that the original proposal for the A330/A340 was
for a much smaller aircraft (the same size as the A300) and it they were to
have been the A300's replacement (the proposal just grew)... As it is, the
A300, A310, A330 and A340 all share common fuselage cross sections... But
with no A300 and A310 sales forthcoming they do have a gap between an A321
and A330-200... They probably think they have no gap hoping airlines would
stretch to the A330-200...
The 2014 date, if true, indicates they mustn't be really worried about
the 7E7 - time will prove them right or wrong I guess...
I think they are concerned, but at the moment they have more serious
problems to deal with. They have committments to build new designs
(a380, A400M, 330 tanker), and they have some significant headaches
with some current products that need to be addressed in the near term
(a380 is believed to be seriously overweight, A340-500 is seriously
overweight still, and so is the A340-600, although exactly how much on
the -600 is much less clear.

At the same time, Boeing has been able to deliver a substantially
better aircraft than promised in the 777-300ER. The 777 has always
been under weigh guarantees, and the 777 airframe and engines perform
significantly better than promised. Most of that credit probably
belongs to GE rather than Boeing.

As a result of current committments, They aren't going to have any
available engineering resources until something in the 2008 time frame
at EADS.

In Europe, even more than Australia, you think long and hard about
adding a lot of bodies, because it is next to impossible to get rid of
them! A substantially sooner entry into service for A30X would
require a major expansion of EADS engineering.
BB
2004-05-30 01:36:23 UTC
Post by matt weber
To be blunt, there are only a handful of markets where the A380 is
attractive. That's why orders are now stuck in a holding pattern, the
people who have those routes have ordered... However as for market
size, I suggest you count up the number of 747, versus 757 and 767's
sold. I think you will surprisingly little difference in the totals to
date!
There are more options aircraft-wise for operators of 757/767 class
aircraft - you're looking at sales from one manufacturer... On the other
hand the 747 really has had no real competitor through nealy all of its
life - if you wanted very large that was all there was.... You would expect
the sales of 747s would be proportionally higher as a result... I think what
is more interesting is whether the large aircraft market (ie A380 vs. 747)
can support both....
Post by matt weber
Post by BB
Will the 7E7 be a viable replacement for the 757?
It is probably a bit large, but the 737-900X has close to the same
seating capacity as a 757, and while he 737 doesn't have the range of
the 757, only charter operators seem to care.
From what I gather one of the reasons the airlines so like the 767 is
that it was (or still is) a good "gap filler" aircraft that relatively cheap
to operate domestically but could also do international duty if required...
Qantas tried to do the same with the A330 but of course it didn't work... To
be a true 767 replacement the 7E7 would have to offer the same versatility
as the 767....
Post by matt weber
the 737-900 is currently capacity constrained due to the number of
exits. a non problem for 2/3 class service, a very real problem for
single class service!.
Is the 737-900X (with the extra exits) still on the drawing boards?
Post by matt weber
Generally the aircraft are slightly upsized at replacement time. The
757 was intended as 727 replacement, instead the the 737-400/800/900
ultimately took over that capacity.
The 7E7 has already grown - the original was to use the 777 circular
cross-section but have since increased the width of the passenger cabin to
create the familiar "double-bubble".... There's been a drag penalty in doing
so but surprisingly it wasn't for the passengers that this was done - Boeing
have an eye on the freighter market and the increased width of the main
cabin allows more versatile container configurations...
Post by matt weber
Post by BB
[...]
So Airbus's designers are overstretched while (after the 747-500X, -600X
and Sonic Cruiser) Boeing has a lot idle?.... :-)
Post by matt weber
At the same time, Boeing has been able to deliver a substantially
better aircraft than promised in the 777-300ER. The 777 has always
been under weigh guarantees, and the 777 airframe and engines perform
significantly better than promised. Most of that credit probably
belongs to GE rather than Boeing.
The 777 is a great a/c and the GE90 is a great engine - they spent a lot
of money on it too.... Unfotunately for GE it is an engine built for one
aircraft type and one only (as long as the customer specifies your engine as
well) - and you only get to fit 2 of them to each airframe!...

Regards,
BB.
matt weber
2004-05-31 21:45:54 UTC
Post by matt weber
Post by BB
Will the 7E7 be a viable replacement for the 757?
It is probably a bit large, but the 737-900X has close to the same
seating capacity as a 757, and while he 737 doesn't have the range of
the 757, only charter operators seem to care.
From what I gather one of the reasons the airlines so like the 767 is
Post by matt weber
the 737-900 is currently capacity constrained due to the number of
exits. a non problem for 2/3 class service, a very real problem for
single class service!.
Is the 737-900X (with the extra exits) still on the drawing boards?
I haven't seen any orders, but realistically the effort to produce it
from the -900 is pretty trivial. If you look at the A319's delivered
to EZ-Jet, you get an idea. (The A319 in single class service has the
same problem the 737-900 has). It didn't add to the delivery time for
EZ-Jet to put in the extra exit.

The Boeing Board of Directors did authorize the aircraft to be
'offered'.., but the demand for new aircraft in the charter/leisure
market is pretty soft at the moment, you can get excellent deals on
pretty good aricraft presently parked at Mohave, Goodyear, Marana
...... There are a good number of 757's, 767, and 737-300/400/500,
and the price is right. You can have A300's and A310's for a song...
Post by BB
So Airbus's designers are overstretched while (after the 747-500X, -600X
and Sonic Cruiser) Boeing has a lot idle?.... :-)
At the moment, that's very much the story. With KC767 in a holding
pattern (perhaps permanently).

There is a huge difference between a marketing proposal, and actually
building the aircraft. None of the versions of the proposals that went
nowhere, like the various versions of the 747X, A330-500, A30X, or
sonic cruiser consumed more than a few million dollars of engineering
work. Sonic Cruiser may have used more, but a lot of the aerodynamics
and materials engineering work from the Sonic Cruiser has ended up in
7E7, so it hasn't been a total loss.

Sonic cruiser BTW remains a bit of a mystery. Let me know when you
find a good picture, model, or drawing that shows the underside of the
aircraft. It is now widely thought that in the Sonic Cruiser Work,
Boeing stumbled onto something that may turn out to be very valuable,
and Boeing has been exceptional coy about that part of the aircraft.

Airbus currently has several programs that are still consuming vast
amounts of engineering resources

The A340-500/600 are being delivered, but are by no means complete.
There is probably another $20-$30 million USD in engineering work that
needs to be done on those aircraft before they meet guarantees. The
question for Airbus is: Is it cheaper to fix, or pay the penalties. I
honestly don't know.

RR was paying penalties to QANTAS on the RB211-524G's on the
747-400's for more than a decade. MD paid penalities on the MD11, and
probably still is to some operators.

The A380 and A400M are still years from first flight.

Boeing has the 7E7 on the civilian front, and that's about it (KC767
is in a holding pattern that it may NEVER emerge from).

Also in the USA, employees pretty much serve at the will of the
employer. Boeing can hire and fire at will, and the termination
payments are at the discretion of Boeing, they aren't part of US
employment law unless it is part of the employment contract. In short
if Boeing wants to layoff 10,000 engineers tomorrow, they are required
to give notice, but that's about all they have to do..
Post by BB
The 777 is a great a/c and the GE90 is a great engine - they spent a lot
of money on it too.... Unfotunately for GE it is an engine built for one
aircraft type and one only (as long as the customer specifies your engine as
well) - and you only get to fit 2 of them to each airframe!...
Think A340-200/300, the CFM56 that goes on it is a one of a kind. The
A340-500/600 also use a one of a kind engine, and I'll bet you more
777-300ER's get sold then A340-500/600's when the smoke clears.

Interestingly enough, GE was offered an exclusive on the A340-500/600,
they declined. They couldn't see enough of them selling to recover the
NRE.

The real headache is A380. four engines, but I suspect RR and GPW
will be lucky if they each sell 400 engines, and at a 92% discount
like RR gave QF, we know they aren't making money anytime soon.

Also a lot of what went into the GE90 is now showing up in product
improvement kits for other engines. Hasn't received a lot of PR, but
Southwest Airlines in the USA in addition to ordering the Winglets,
also ordered about $300 million USD worth of kits for the CFM56s.
Basically the Tech-56 program was the application of the things
learned in the GE90 program and applying them to the CFM56.
BB
2004-06-01 09:54:32 UTC
Post by matt weber
Post by BB
There are more options aircraft-wise for operators of 757/767 class
aircraft - you're looking at sales from one manufacturer... On the other
hand the 747 really has had no real competitor through nealy all of its
life - if you wanted very large that was all there was.... You would expect
the sales of 747s would be proportionally higher as a result... I think what
is more interesting is whether the large aircraft market (ie A380 vs. 747)
can support both....
From what I gather one of the reasons the airlines so like the 767 is
Post by matt weber
Post by BB
[...]
Penalties for failure to meet performance guarantees are nothing new...
As you say a lot of manufacturers have paid them - less well know that they
can be paid even on a single aircraft..... Boeing pays Qantas penalties on
one of their -400s because it doesn't meet range guarantees (apparently
manufactured slightly skewed with a resultant drag penalty)...
Post by matt weber
A380 and A400M are still years from first flight.
A380 not that far but the freighter is... Have no idea whatsoever about the
A400M
Post by matt weber
Boeing has the 7E7 on the civilian front, and that's about it (KC767
is in a holding pattern that it may NEVER emerge from).
Boeing admit that even if their 7E7 is a success that they will be getting
less and less with each passing year from the commercial aircraft
business... Satellites and defence are the big growth areas apparently...
Post by BB
The 777 is a great a/c and the GE90 is a great engine - they spent a lot
of money on it too.... Unfotunately for GE it is an engine built for one
aircraft type and one only (as long as the customer specifies your engine as
well) - and you only get to fit 2 of them to each airframe!...
Think A340-200/300, the CFM56 that goes on it is a one of a kind. The
A340-500/600 also use a one of a kind engine, and I'll bet you more
777-300ER's get sold then A340-500/600's when the smoke clears.
Well maybe, but GE get to only bolt 2 of those to each 777-300ER whereas
with the A340 you sell more engines per aircraft sold... To sell the same
number of engines you'd have to sell almost double the airframes (accounting
for spares).... The CFM56 is a large family of engines and an advantage of
that is you have spares inventory for one engine family (and the amount of
commonality means it's also easy to do them on the same engine line)... QF
will operate at least 2 separate engine maintenance lines - one for RR
engines and one for GE engines (that doesn't include the proposed tie-up
with VB in the old Ansett CFM56 line in Melbourne)...
Post by matt weber
Interestingly enough, GE was offered an exclusive on the A340-500/600,
they declined. They couldn't see enough of them selling to recover the
NRE.
Kind of surprised at that, the A340/500-600 are powered by RR Trent engines
in the mid 50,000s pound thrust area... One would think a perfect fit into
the CF6 thrust range... As for a Trent in this thrust range, RR tried to
interest airlines (including Qantas) in fitting such to their -400s a while
ago (not to retrofit but to complete their fleets in addition to their RB211
powered versions) but none were interested... Engine manufacturers
generally like exclusivity (they shore up 100% of the market after all) but
airlines don't... Remember the uproar when Boeing announced that they would
no longer offer any engine other than the GE90 on any 777? The resulting
controversy forced them to back down....
Post by matt weber
The real headache is A380. four engines, but I suspect RR and GPW
will be lucky if they each sell 400 engines, and at a 92% discount
like RR gave QF, we know they aren't making money anytime soon.
Will bother RR less than GPW... The Trent 900 has much more in common with
their exising engine line-up... If the aircraft flops then it won't be as
big a loss for them....
Post by matt weber
Also a lot of what went into the GE90 is now showing up in product
improvement kits for other engines. Hasn't received a lot of PR, but
Southwest Airlines in the USA in addition to ordering the Winglets,
also ordered about $300 million USD worth of kits for the CFM56s.
Basically the Tech-56 program was the application of the things
learned in the GE90 program and applying them to the CFM56.
I'd think that a bit of a false economy... They could have come up with the
improvements without designing a whole "clean sheet" engine... Sure it's
great they came up with the improvements but the cynic in me says they're
trying to put gloss on an expensive program... RR have had small but
measurable gains in applying Trent technology to the RB211 relatively
painlessly.... At least the Trent though, as a family of engines (like the
CF6 or the CFM56) can be fitted to a lot more than one aircraft type....

Regards,
BB.
matt weber
2004-06-02 01:32:54 UTC
Post by matt weber
Post by matt weber
Post by BB
is more interesting is whether the large aircraft market (ie A380 vs.
747)
Post by matt weber
Post by BB
can support both....
From what I gather one of the reasons the airlines so like the 767 is
Post by matt weber
Post by BB
be a true 767 replacement the 7E7 would have to offer the same
versatility
Post by matt weber
Post by BB
as the 767....
Post by matt weber
[...]
That's not what the agreement said. The GE90 is the exclusive engine
for all 777's with MGTOWs in excess about 675,000 pounds. That what
the agreement said then, and that is still what the agreement says.

There has been no backdown on that one.
BB
2004-06-02 09:08:18 UTC
Post by matt weber
That's not what the agreement said. The GE90 is the exclusive engine
for all 777's with MGTOWs in excess about 675,000 pounds. That what
the agreement said then, and that is still what the agreement says.
There has been no backdown on that one.
Yep, you're right on that one, Matt...
I remember protests came from Emirates and Cathay (because they were at the
time RR customers) - but GE wanted exclusivity to help amortorise the costs
of their engine... My original argument remains however - there can't be
much money in niche engines for big twins...

Regards,
BB.
matt weber
2004-06-03 05:14:30 UTC
Post by BB
Post by matt weber
That's not what the agreement said. The GE90 is the exclusive engine
for all 777's with MGTOWs in excess about 675,000 pounds. That what
the agreement said then, and that is still what the agreement says.
There has been no backdown on that one.
Yep, you're right on that one, Matt...
I remember protests came from Emirates and Cathay (because they were at the
time RR customers) - but GE wanted exclusivity to help amortorise the costs
of their engine... My original argument remains however - there can't be
much money in niche engines for big twins...
Actually the GE90 had the lowest R&D cost for a 115,000 pound engine.
There wasn't anyway that the Trent or PW4000 could get to 115,000
pounds without almost starting over. RR built a 102,000 pound
demonstrator. PW 4098 damn near killed them. Fortunately the big
customer for it KE, was quite happy to have it delivered a year late.
Business for them was awful anyway, so a deal where they get paid NOT
to TAKE the airplane for a year is as good as it gets!

PW's days a supplier of commercial engines are very numbered. The PW
powered A318 is now never likely to enter service. They aren't in the
7E7 program, they aren't in the A340 program. They are teamed with GE
in the A380, and if you think the market for the GE90 is niche,
consider the market for the A380 engines.
Post by BB
Regards,
BB.
It doesn't seem to have prevented EK from ordering some (though the
back door, apparently they have signed on through ILFC)... As to
whether or not it is a niche engine,
The GE90-115B is different up front from other GE90's, but from the
combustion chamber back, all GE90's are the same. The GE90 core was
designed from the outset to support at least 120,000 pounds thrust,
and it has actually exceeded that on the test stand, in fact that
120,000+ pounds is likely to be a record for a very long time...
Ultimately GE will probably build about 1000 of them.
no it will never sell like a CFM56, but frankly, neither will any
Trent 500, 600, 800, 900 or 1000 series engine, and neither will
PW4000's, PW2000's either. The CFM56, CF34, JT8 and JT9 success
stories are the exception, not the rule.

The CF6 has done well because you can put it on so many different
airplanes, but it hasn't been a runway success in any of those
markets. But when it fits on D10, MD11, 747, A300, A310, A340, 767 and
747, you are bound to sell a few just because of all the places you
can put it.

Yes it outsold PW4000 and JT9's on the 767-300ER by a hefty margin,
but that's more like a 65/35.
BB
2004-06-03 09:46:50 UTC
Post by matt weber
Actually the GE90 had the lowest R&D cost for a 115,000 pound engine.
There wasn't anyway that the Trent or PW4000 could get to 115,000
pounds without almost starting over. RR built a 102,000 pound
demonstrator. PW 4098 damn near killed them. Fortunately the big
customer for it KE, was quite happy to have it delivered a year late.
Business for them was awful anyway, so a deal where they get paid NOT
to TAKE the airplane for a year is as good as it gets!
PW's days a supplier of commercial engines are very numbered. The PW
powered A318 is now never likely to enter service. They aren't in the
7E7 program, they aren't in the A340 program. They are teamed with GE
in the A380, and if you think the market for the GE90 is niche,
consider the market for the A380 engines.
Don't know about the GP version but the Roller is a development of a
existing product... Of course with engines in this thrust class (well into
the 70,000's of pounds), there is always the hope that if the A380 fails you
could develop it to fit to something else (a higher weight A330 for
example)... As for any 100,000+ pound engine, what else can you fit it to?
It's really too big for any 4-engined airliner and I don't see Airbus
turning the A330 into a competitor to the high-weight 777s.... I guess like
everything else it's a gamble...
Post by matt weber
[...]
Manufacturers wouldn't (or shouldn't) care where their engine goes as
long as it isn't too expensive an operation to develop... (Hey, you can even
get the RB211 on a Tu-204!!).... GE don't care that they don't have the
majority of sales on a particular type - just as long as they get them out
there...

Regards,
BB.
matt weber
2004-06-04 03:59:11 UTC
Post by BB
Manufacturers wouldn't (or shouldn't) care where their engine goes as
long as it isn't too expensive an operation to develop... (Hey, you can even
get the RB211 on a Tu-204!!).... GE don't care that they don't have the
majority of sales on a particular type - just as long as they get them out
there...
Regards,
BB.
The GP engine is a hybrid as well, don't remember who provide what
part, but the back is a GE90 and the front end a PW4000, or the other
way around. It is basically a scaled GE90/scaled PW4000 hybrid.

As for a 100,000 pound class engine. Take a good look at an A340-300
next to an A330-300, and then think about an A370.

In Europe and in Japan, and in part of the USA, a high capacity,
relatively low weight, short to mid haul aircraft with A380 capacity
is potentially very useful, especially at severely capacity
constrained airports, like ATL,LAX, ORD, LHR and NRT. Replace the
747SR for example.

If you chop the range down to about 4-5000km, you can rip about
300,000 pounds out of the MGTOW. Getting rid of the tankage for the
fuel carriage that is no further use, and the reducing the strength to
something more in line with a 900,000 pound TOW, and a pair of 122,000
pound thrust engines would just about do the trick. Once the dust has
finally settled on the A380, I expect we will see an A370 along those
lines late in this decade. I'd suggest GE has the inside track on
powering it, because they already have an engine that is capable of
doing the mission.

The big GE90 niche might be considerably larger than it appears at the
moment.

It has one other things an A370 would have going for it. It is where
Boeing isn't, just as the 7E7 isn't where Airbus is in the market.

The A30X is now dead as a doornail, although with an original in
service date in 2014-2015 time frame, I'd be reluctant to suggest it
was ever really alive... As QF and a few others have pointed out, the
A330 just isn't a very good short haul aircraft, that was something
the A300 was actually pretty good at. The 757 and 767 aren't
especially good short haul aircraft, the D10-10 and -15 were. I have
my doubts about the 7E7-3 as a short haul aircraft.
BB
2004-06-04 09:09:45 UTC
Post by matt weber
[...]
Ripping weight out of a longer range aircraft to make a shorter range
one is nothing really groundbreaking - Boeing did it with the 720 and 747SR
(which uses a lot of -100 structures/componentry) but it was pretty
specialised and they didn't sell too many.. Not to be confused with
something like the short range 747-400 (-400D) which was made to be
convertible to a regular -400 if required and as such, unlike the other
Boeings carries excess structural weight...
Post by matt weber
The big GE90 niche might be considerably larger than it appears at the
moment.
It has one other things an A370 would have going for it. It is where
Boeing isn't, just as the 7E7 isn't where Airbus is in the market.
The A30X is now dead as a doornail, although with an original in
service date in 2014-2015 time frame, I'd be reluctant to suggest it
was ever really alive... As QF and a few others have pointed out, the
A330 just isn't a very good short haul aircraft, that was something
the A300 was actually pretty good at. The 757 and 767 aren't
especially good short haul aircraft, the D10-10 and -15 were. I have
my doubts about the 7E7-3 as a short haul aircraft.
If Airbus are as stretched for engineering capability as you say (2014-15
for the A30X).. Then the A370 wouldn't be ready any time soon - it doesn't
seem to be even talked about - let alone formally proposed by Airbus... For
the record Airbus rejected the A370 designation for what became the A380 -
it seems they thought the number "7" is too heavily associated with Boeing
equipment...

Regards,
BB.
matt weber
2004-06-05 04:09:38 UTC
Post by BB
Post by matt weber
[...]
Two comments,

1) I said before the end of the decade.

2). Unlike A30X, A370 will hardly be an all new aircraft, anymore than
the A330-200 was an all new aircraft, it was a shrink of the
original A330-300 with additional tankage. That requires nowhere near
the engineering resources that an all new aircraft requires. It takes
years to build an all new aircraft, derivates can often be done in
months, and if it uses large portions of an existing airframe (like
A380), the entry into service is also much shorter. A decision to
build an A370 in 2007 (a year after A380 enters services) would
probably produce an in service date of 2009.

Dave Proctor
2004-06-02 18:57:22 UTC
Post by matt weber
That's not what the agreement said. The GE90 is the exclusive engine
for all 777's with MGTOWs in excess about 675,000 pounds. That what
the agreement said then, and that is still what the agreement says.
There has been no backdown on that one.
Really Matt, you should know better - you offered a 159 line post to
merely add the above, without snipping? I expected better of you.....

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/
Neil Gerace
2004-05-30 04:57:08 UTC
Not the A330 then?
matt weber
2004-05-31 22:14:48 UTC
On Sun, 30 May 2004 12:57:08 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
Post by Neil Gerace
Post by matt weber
If you are looking for a 757/767, or A300/A310 replacement, they have
the only game in town.
Not the A330 then?
The shrunken A330 is going nowhere. The A330-500 was actuall ordered
by ILFC, but will never happen.

The problem with the A330 is that like most designs, it doesn't cost
much to stretch them, but you don't get much back when you shrink them
either. The A330 was transformed from a mid range aircraft to a long
haul aircraft with the introduction of the -200, and the MGTOW
expansion on the -300. The result is a lot of weight goes into tankage
and structure to support the high MGTOW, none of which contributes
anything useful to a 3000km mission. The figure I look at is dead
weight per passenger in the airframe. (EW/seats)
Realistically the A330 in 2 class domestic service is about 305, -330
is about 335.
for the A330-200 266,000/305 = 872 pounds
A330-300 275,000/330 = 833 pounds
767-300ER 201,000/240= 837 pounds
767-200ER 187,000/200= 935 pounds
757-300 157,000/220= 713 pounds

The A330-500 would have been about 255,000 pound, and 280 passengers,
or 910 pounds.

I would also point out that many fees are tied to MGTOW or MLW. Bottom
line is there is no way a shrunken A330, or 767 is going to end up
with a competitive weight. In fact the 7E7-3 will have a different
wing. It can have the same wing loading as the -7 or -8 with a much
smaller wing, since it is never going to fly a 10,000 km mission.

I should point out that the 757-300 is incapable of flying missions
beyond about 3000km with a realistic load, and the 767's have trouble
getting beyond about 8000km. However the A300 and A310 couldn't fly
the 8000km missions either, in fact the early A300's had trouble with
a 3000km mission.

In simple terms, converting long haul aircraft for short haul service
is bad ecomics. The 747SR has lousy costs, but it exists because at
the time they were ordered, there was nothing else available that
could fly the mission at all.....

By contrast, the 7E7-3 is likely to have an EW right around 200,000
pounds, an carry an A330-200 passenger load... that is right about
667 pounds per warm body, and that to be blunt, is where a lot of the
7E7 economics come from.

Fuel burn is essentially Weight/(Lift/drag))*engine SFC x mission time
in hours, and frankly the killer isn't what the passengers weigh, it
is the dead weight you have to transport to carry the passengers. This
is why being overweight on the aircraft for ultra long haul missions
is so painful. On the A340-500 for the Los Angeles Singapore Mission,
if you add 10 pounds to the MGTOW, iit turns out you will need about 7
pounds of fuel to transport the 10 pounds, so you only get 30% of it
to appear as payload. Chip 10 pounds out of EW, and all 10 pounds
appears as payload! In other words, fuel burn is driven mostly by EW
of the aircraft, and less EW per warm body transported, the lower the
fuel component in Available Seat Kilometer cost is going to be.

While others may argue, everybodies wing is now about the same. That
may not have been the case 45 years ago when supercomputers were too
expensive and the ability to analyse the entire wing on Computation
Fuid Dynamics package was not possible. Today that is exactly what is
done. There are tweaks here and there for features you may want to
optimize that the other guy may not care about, but at the end of the
day, in cruise just about everybodies L/D is the same within probably
1 per cent. If there was much more difference, the lower L/D guy
wouldn't get any orders!
J Doe
2004-05-31 13:17:25 UTC
Post by matt weber
Post by J Doe
Post by MK
Post by Carsten Bauer
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=587283
I cant believe that it's standing up, hehehe
They call the first model (prototype?) the -800? Doesn't leave many x00
series for future models!
MK.
Not to start a A380 vs B7E7 war, but there is surely to be a nice big order
again for the 7E7 soon, hopefully to overtake the A380 order book :P
AV leak reports that Boeing admits to being in various of stages of
discussion several airlines, for 450 7E7's and expects the 7E7 order
book to pass 200 before the end of the year, 500 before the first
commercial delivery. I won't be surprised if the 7E7 order book is
fatter than the A380 by the end of this quarter (the A380 order book
isn't very thick at the moment, so that isn't all that difficult).
That would be fantastic, somethign to give the Boeing workers a lift, apart
from the B737 they dont have much.
Not too sure about that the A320, A330 & A340 are still great aircraft
matt weber
2004-05-31 22:22:28 UTC
Post by J Doe
Post by matt weber
If you are looking for a 757/767, or A300/A310 replacement, they have
the only game in town.
Not too sure about that the A320, A330 & A340 are still great aircraft
None of them are really replacements for the 75/76 or A300/A310.
The A321-200 is roughly 757-200 sized, and the A330 and A340 are
really much longer range aircraft then the A300/A310, or 757/767, and
have significantly higher passenger capacity, as a result they carry a
large amount of dead weight to fly the long haul missions.

See my previous post. The first order approximation for fuel
consumption is EW. If you don't ever plan to fly more than 3000km, you
don't build it in. If the mission is really that restrictive, you
should see how low the EW per body can get.

On the BAe146, it was down around 550 pounds,
On a 717 it is about 600 pounds
EMB195 it is about 600 pounds
CRJ900 it is about 550 pounds

Using what are really long haul aircraft on missions that are
exclusively under 3000km means carrying a lot of dead weight for fuel
carriage and structural strength to carry that fuel that are worthless
in the intened use.
Martin Taylor
2004-05-29 05:08:54 UTC
Carsten said....
Post by Carsten Bauer
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=587283
I cant believe that it's standing up, hehehe
Friggin' huge, alright.

Is the landing gear complete? If so, how come only 2 main bogies?
Trevor Fenn
2004-05-31 07:17:42 UTC
Post by Martin Taylor
Carsten said....
Post by Carsten Bauer
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=587283
I cant believe that it's standing up, hehehe
Friggin' huge, alright.
Is the landing gear complete? If so, how come only 2 main bogies?
Because this one is never going to fly, it's the static test example.

Trevor Fenn
Ben Matthes
2004-05-29 09:36:09 UTC
Post by Carsten Bauer
http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=587283
I cant believe that it's standing up, hehehe
(turn picture sideways)

kinda looks like .............

(turn picture upside down)

the space shuttle with slime on it

Ben Matthes. Canberra ACT Australia.
I don't have a drinking problem - I drink, I get drunk, I fall down - no problem!