Plane crash off nsw today
Mal
2007-02-05 10:58:55 UTC
Killed pilot was on maintenance flight
By Paul Carter

February 05, 2007 01:48pm

Article from: AAP
Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

A PILOT killed when his plane ploughed into surf in front of beachgoers on
the NSW north coast was on a maintenance flight when he crashed, police
said.

Engine trouble forced the pilot to declare an emergency on board the Twin
Comanche nine minutes after taking off from Coolangatta yesterday,
Superintendent Greg Carey said today.

"It was a routine maintenance flight," Mr Carey said.

The male pilot, who is yet to be formally identified, radioed his emergency
to air traffic controllers.

"At one point he indicated his intention to put the plane down on the beach,
and then subsequently that he was ditching," Mr Carey said.

The plane flew a low altitude course in line with the crowded beach before
banking right over the water and crashing 150m beyond the breakers at
Casuarina Beach, near Kingscliff, about 5.30pm (AEDT).

A rescuer soon on the scene dived from a hovering helicopter to remove the
pilot from the wreckage five metres under the water. But attempts to revive
him failed.

The pilot, who is believed be a 61-year-old Mermaid Beach man, was flying
solo.

His wife is currently overseas and was yet be informed.
Graeme Hogan
God bless.
Rod Out Back
2007-02-06 08:43:22 UTC
On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:58:55 GMT,
and after reading the post titled " Plane crash off nsw today",
Post by Mal
[...]
Does anyone (Yet) know the rego of the twin Commanche involved? We used to own
a PA-30 a few years ago, and I read the other day it had changed owners again up
to around that part of the world.

I just wondered if anyone had heard what aircraft it was.

Cheers,

Rod.....Out Back
TACAN
2007-02-06 11:12:28 UTC
Post by Rod Out Back
I just wondered if anyone had heard what aircraft it was.
One talk head reported it as a Twin Piper Cherokee.
Post by Rod Out Back
Cheers,
Rod.....Out Back
Any decent rain out there yet???

Cheers
Graham
Trevor Fenn
2007-02-06 21:50:45 UTC
Well a Seminole meets that description quite well :)
rebel
2007-02-07 01:09:57 UTC
Post by Trevor Fenn
Post by TACAN
Post by Rod Out Back
I just wondered if anyone had heard what aircraft it was.
One talk head reported it as a Twin Piper Cherokee.
Well a Seminole meets that description quite well :)
vision on the teev showed the word "Cherokee" clealry painted on a piece of
wreckage. Now *assuming* it wasn't file footage (can't trust the media news to
do a straight story) the Seminole would only be a partial match.
Sunny
snippet in the news here in Bne, was that a previous owner was Dick Smith.
Rod Out Back
2007-02-07 03:11:48 UTC
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:56:35 GMT,
and after reading the post titled " Re: Plane crash off nsw today",
Post by Sunny
<snip>
Post by Rod Out Back
Does anyone (Yet) know the rego of the twin Commanche involved? We used to own
a PA-30 a few years ago, and I read the other day it had changed owners again up
to around that part of the world.
I just wondered if anyone had heard what aircraft it was.
snippet in the news here in Bne, was that a previous owner was Dick Smith.
Not ours, then. However, ours WAS owned by a gent by the name of Phil Collins.
Sadly, not the singer...

Cheers,

Rod.....Out Back